Oglethorpe knows where it’s going.
A well-conceived strategic plan is the reason why.
This plan, titled “The Oglethorpe Idea,” was crafted for one purpose: to strengthen Oglethorpe’s identity as an exceptional liberal arts and sciences university in an international city.
Oglethorpe is becoming that university by integrating mission (liberal arts & sciences) and place (Atlanta) and by connecting ideas with opportunities, giving shape to a distinct brand of higher education.
The plan’s interrelated strategies and initiatives will drive academic growth for students through:
- A continuing commitment to the Core curriculum, the defining hallmark of the Oglethorpe
education, which prepares graduates to reason, write, speak and solve problems with intelligence and perspective;
- An ambitious expansion of student learning experiences at the university’s Atlanta Laboratory for Learning (A_LAB), which integrates civic engagement, study abroad, undergraduate research and student internships within the academic program;
- A diversified approach to the visual and performing arts, to ensure that creative expression is an integral part of the Oglethorpe education;
- A recommitment to service-learning and volunteerism through projects and programs designed to help students become participating, informed and ardent citizens in their community; and
- A continued re-imagining of key campus facilities to better connect people to ideas – and to each other.